Friday, August 14, 2009

Planners

Some people just enjoy the process of doing things. A story that really stuck by me is one about a mountain climber. He says the thrill of it is not reaching the top, but the climbing itself. He would always wish that the mountain could go on forever and ever.

I find I am the sort of person who loves to plan out things. I have spent many sleepless nights planning out new projects in my mind, but I've never stayed up to finish the projects I've planned so meticulously for. I have a whole pile of half finished projects.

The solution I have contented myself with - though probably not helped by my procrastinating habits - is.. well, just knowing that my interests lie in the process. I've accepted the fact that this absolutely amazing idea that keeps running through my head probably will never get done, and no one will ever see it. So I just happily plan away, maybe actually get started on it (because it's so darn amazing! :p), but I won't kick myself for not finishing it.

Another solution I've been fiddling with, though it hasn't proven to work every time, is to skip the planning step. I've never planned for a single painting in my life (the brainstorming, the composition sketches, the colour studies... yuck), because it ruins everything. Just dive into your project, and if you happen upon any bumps due to lack of planning, then fix it on the spot! It makes things more interesting (unpredictability!) and fun anyways.


Originally written: August 5th, 2009

0 comments: